Friday, July 25, 2008

P&H Scorpio...First Reviews



P&H's newest model, the Scorpio, has landed in the US and the first reviews are coming in. Check out this comprehensive review by the owner of The River Connection in New York. I had a chance to test paddle this kayak while conducting a short day trip during the Door County Sea Kayak Symposium. Having extensively paddled the Cetus--the composite kayak on which the Scorpio is based--I was in a position to compare it's plastic cousin. The Scorpio is slightly shorter 16'11, and a bit more svelte at 22" on the beam. I found the dimensions made the boat a bit more playful on the water...especially so, since at 150lbs and carrying no gear, I was a bit underweight for this kayak and it rode high in the water.

Specs:
* 22" wide
* Max deck height - 13.7"
* Cockpit dimensions: 31" x 16.5"
* 3-layer polyethylene foam core construction.
* Swede form (the widest portion is behind the seat...this makes for great primary stability, and also allows for a cleaner catch and higher angle on your forward stroke, as the boat narrows in front of you).
* 4 hatches.
* Skeg
* MSRP $1999.00

Click "read more" for the rest of my review.



Outfitting
* P&H does a great job of paying attention to detail, and the outfitting in the boat is well thought out. As with all P&H polyethylene boats, the deck fittings are recessed and molded in using brass inserts, rather than bolted through the boat. Thigh braces are whitewater style and can be moved forward or backward to provide a better fit. The boat has the standard P&H seat with a removable seat pad. The back-band wraps around and is tightened by means of a webbing strap with brass D-rings. The D-rings lock tight. This replaces the old ratchet system, which didn't hold up as well to salt water.

* The boat comes standard with P&H's new kink-free skeg system. This was first put into production on the Cetus and is now standard on all the polyethelene boats as well.

* Like the Cetus, the Scorpio 3 bulkheads and four hatches: large compartments in the bow and stern, a cavernous day hatch behind the seat, and a small deck hatch in front of the cockpit. The deck hatch is large enough to store flares, electronics, snacks, or extra water and is easy to access. All have Kajaksport hatch covers. The deck hatch compartment is molded ABS plastic, riveted to the underside of the deck. When the Cetus first came out, I wondered if the deck hatch was too gimmicky, but after taking it on a week-long trip in Canada, found it be a wise use of some underutilized storage space.

* My sole complaint on outfitting was the use of rivets to secure the deck hatch. While these are undoubtedly strong enough for their intended use, they just looked a little funny to me from an aesthetic standpoint. But, that's just my opinion.

Performance
I had the boat out on a windy day (winds 15-20kn), but, since I was guiding beginners, only in small waves.

Hopping in the boat, it was apparent that there's plenty of room in this kayak. My immediate thought was that this boat fills a void in our instructional fleet...a man with size 13 shoes could fit in this boat, whereas a Capella RM would be a tighter squeeze. Since I have size 8 shoes, the boat was extremely roomy, although I still maintained good contact with the thigh braces and at the hips.

After a quick seal launch off a 3 foot dock, I immediately recognized the stability that I associated with the Cetus. The boat has a great deal of primary stability, making it a reassuring boat to paddle for novices. At the same time, the boat responded immediately to edged turns. The boat sits comfortably when edged, and I was able to maintain aggressive edging to effect 180-degree carved turns with no problem. I tried a few rolls and found the boat rolled with little effort..the forgiving stability and higher knee position made it pop around easily.

The boat was more playful than the Cetus, yet still has plenty of room for packing for trips, and enough volume to keep support paddler and gear without riding low and slow. Thus, it fits the bill as a good all-arounder.

Our route included a two-mile crossing with a beam wind, which gave me a chance to see how the Scorpio responded. With a 15-20knot beam wind, the Scorpio weather cocked as designed, but not excessively. This tendency was easily corrected by deploying the skeg about 1/4 of the way down...a benefit of the P&H system which combines the maintenance benefits of the rope/bungee skeg with the fine-tuning ability of a skeg-slider. Keeping in mind that I am on the light end for this kayak and given its relatively higher front deck, it appears that it is very manageable in wind.

The other performance aspect that struck me was how fast the boat was for a plastic kayak.

I didn't have the opportunity to paddle the Scorpio in waves, but gained another perspective: observing it being paddled in waves by Ben Lawry. Earlier in the week, Ben, Kelly Blades, and I took the boat for a test run in Rowley's Bay, WI. We paddled into a 15+ knot headwind, with small waves running very close together. Watching the Scorpio it was apparent that the boat was a dry ride...the ample volume in the bow rising up and over the waves, as opposed to plowing through them (as I was in much lower volume Vela). Of course, Ben's a machine, so he had the boat cruising quite nicely, although I tend to think that even if he was paddling a folding lawn chair and using a 2x4 as a paddle, he'd probably still beat me. On the return trip, Ben was off to the races, the Scorpio cruising with the following sea quite predictably.

I look forward to the arrival of one here so I can test it in conditions.

Conclusion

The Scorpio is a fast, maneuverable, and stable kayak capable of carrying enough gear for extended trips, but fun enough for day paddling and playing in surf.

At $1999.00, it's on the high-end for plastic boats, but the 3-layer construction and outfitting are top notch. This boat fills the gap for someone looking for a performance boat but doesn't want to pay for the cost of a composite, or who prefers a plastic kayak because of the locations they paddle (e.g., rock gardens, rocky coasts, etc.).

The folks at P&H have told me that the mold for the Scorpio LV is done, so there should a model that's a better fit for guys like me coming down the production pike soon! But I liked the standard Scorpio enough to order a couple for our fleet already.

DISCLOSURE: I paddle for P&H. I encourage you to test paddle this boat; I'm sure you'll reach the same conclusions I did!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you STILL paddle for P&H?